viernes, 5 de junio de 2009

Cojones

Personalmente, no me gusta Pérez Reverte (me parece un poco gilipollas), pero este artículo es realmente bueno y debo traucirlo como deferencia a mis colaboradores no hispanoparlantes.

The sumptuousness of the Castilian language is well exemplified in the multiple meanings of a simple word like the much known and frequently used reference to the masculine attributes: cojones (bollocks).
Different meanings can depend on the quantity. Thus, one means expensive (it costs one cojón), two means courage (he has two cojones), three means disdain (I care three cojones), a really big number, plus a pair, means difficulty (it took me one thousand pairs of cojones).The verb changes the meaning: to have means courage (that person has cojones), although with exclamation means surprise (it has cojones!); to put them express a challenge, especially if you put them in certain places (he put his cojones on the table). You can use them to bet (I’ll cut my cojones), or to intimidate someone (I’ll cut your cojones). Also, the tense changes the meaning of the sentence: present indicates that something or someone is bothering you (it’s touching my cojones), reflexive, laziness (he was touching his cojones), but imperative surprise (touch your cojones!). Prefixes and suffixes alter its meaning: a- express fear (acojonado), des- means tireness or be killing yourself laughing (descojonado), -udo indicates perfection (cojonudo) and -azo refers to indolence. Prepositions also modulate the expression: Of means success (the result was of cojones) or quantity (it was cold of cojones), for express will (I’ll do it for cojones), until means to get fed up with something (I’m up until my cojones), with indicates courage (he was a man with cojones) and so without is cowardice (he was a man without cojones). Cojones can have different colours and shapes: purple express cold (my cojones were purple); square, tiredness (I have square cojones); if they’re shaved mean experience. Size and position are very important (he has two big and well placed cojones); however, there is a maximum size (he has cojones like Espartero’s horse) that cannot be excedeed, because then it means laziness or clumsiness (they hang, he steps on them, he’s sitting on them or even needs a wheelbarrow to carry them). ¡Cojones! is said with surprise, and when one is astonished asks for them (send cojones!). In that anatomical place your wishes reside and from it the orders are born (because it’s going out from my cojones). In summary, it’s difficult to find a word, in Spanish or any other language, with more meanings.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario